Character: Leigh Bowden
Directed by: Martin Scorsese
Written by: Wesley Strick
Produced by: Barbara De Fina
Cast Members: Robert De Niro, Nick Nolte, Juliette Lewis, Joe Don Baker, Robert Mitchum, Gregory Peck
Released date: November 15, 1991
Genre: Crime, Thriller
When attorney Sam Bowden knowingly withholds evidence that would acquit violent sex offender Max Cady of rape charges, Max spends 14 years in prison. But after Max's release, knowing about Sam's deceit, he devotes his life to stalking and destroying the Bowden family. When practical attempts to stop Max fail, Sam realizes that he must act outside the law to protect his wife and daughter in Martin Scorsese's remake of the classic 1962 thriller.
• The Bowden family has moved to New Essex.
• He learned to read.
• There is nothing in the dark that isn’t there in the light. Except fear.
• Sam Bowden has always provided for his family’s future. But the past is coming back to haunt them.
• In the original script, Leigh only met Max Cady at the end. Jessica Lange suggested the scene where they talk outside her house be added to the script, because she felt there should be a meeting between the two before the climax.
• Jessica Lange accepted her role to work with Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese.
• Listen to me, Max, listen to me. You know, Max, since all this started, I’ve thought about you all the time. I’ve tried to imagine what it must have been like for you, all those years locked up in jail… I’ve tried to imagine you and even your crimes, and how you must have felt in those moments that you did them… See, I know about loss, Max. I know about losing time, even losing years. And I know it doesn’t compare to jail, but I can understand. And I can share this with you. Because of that, whatever it is you’ve got planned, I want you to do it just with me… not with her… because… we have this connection.
• You don’t know Danny. If she finds a palmetto bug in her bedroom, she takes it outside. She could never kill anything.
• I’d like to know just how strong we are. Or how weak. But I guess the only way we’re gonna find that out is just by going through this.