Directed by: Sydney Pollack
Written by: Larry Gelbart, Murray Schisgal
Produced by: Charles Evans, Sydney Pollack, Dick Richards, Ronald L. Schwary
Cast Members: Dustin Hoffman, Teri Garr, Dabney Coleman, Charles Durning
Released date: December 17, 1982
New York actor Michael Dorsey is a talented perfectionist who is so hard on himself and others that his agent can no longer find work for him. After a soap opera audition goes poorly, Michael reinvents himself as actress Dorothy Michaels and wins the part. What was supposed to be a short-lived role turns into a long-term contract, but when Michael falls for his castmate Julie, complications develop that could wreck everything.
• Little did this desperate, out of work actor know when he secretly auditioned for a female role that he’d become the hottest star on television. Not even the girl he’s madly in love with knows that he’s Tootsie.
• Desperate, he took a female role and became a star. If only he could tell the woman he loves.
• He’s Tootsie… She’s Dustin Hoffman
• What do you get when you cross a hopelessly straight starving actor with a dynamite red sequined dress? You get America’s hottest new actress.
• Can you keep a secret? In the next 72 hours, this desperate, unemployed actor will secretly audition for the lead of a soap opera. And become America’s hottest new actress.
• This Is a Hell of a Way To Make a Living.
• This Christmas everyone will know that she’s Dustin Hoffman and he’s Tootsie.
• Jessica Lange credits Sydney Pollack with guiding and shaping her performance. “He has almost impeccable taste about what’s right and what he needs and doesn’t need”, she said shortly after filming. “I really think he did something with my performance in the editing room, made it more interesting.”
• Jessica Lange said that at first she had trouble modulating her performance for a comedy. Having just completed the highly emotional drama Frances (1982), she found herself giving too much intensity to some scenes, particularly one that called for her to be angry. “I came out of my dressing room and tore the set apart”, she said. “After the take, there was this incredible stillness.”